Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

College is getting harder!



I currently am a senior in college. When I first started going to college I rarely had to study. My freshman courses were a joke. Pretty much show up and get a B. Now I find myself at a brick wall. I have entered my upper level courses. They are much harder! There is a huge difference in the difficulty level in these classes. I find myself having to study all the time. I hardly have any time to myself anymore or anytime to hang out with my friends. This is ridiculous!

I understand that college is all about the journey in becoming a mature adult, but are they making it too hard? For example, I studied for about two weeks prior to one of my finance exams. The professor told the class what would be on the exam and what to look over before the exam. I felt that I did these things and more. Even after studying all that time I got no where.

I am struggling in all my classes. I am stressed to the max. I don't know if it is the way I study that keeps me from currently excelling in my upper level courses or not. I try everything from making note cards, copying my notes, copying someone else's notes, and just plain reading the book. Maybe I am trying to study too much at once. Maybe I am cramming too much information at a time. If anyone has any suggestions as to how I can excel in my upper level classes, please feel free to let me know.

1 comment:

  1. Hello cousin! It is Meredith. I would say that things do get harder as you go into your upper level classes. And it can feel really restricting but sometimes you have to put the social things on the background to find what does work for you. I had to teach for ten weeks at a school during my last semester and there wasn't a lot of time to be on the social front. That is a sacrifice and it is sad. However, your college senior year is like the biggest contrast to your high school senior year possible in my mind - you could slack off pretty well on your classes high school senior year and be fine. Whereas you must buckle down the hardest in your college senior year to get by.

    The studying thing is hard. Suzanne can look at something once or an hour before a test and ace it. I do , much like you, the notetaking, copying, and flashcards. That s what I had to do to make it. I am a kinesthetic learner in that I must do something with the material for it to stay with me at all.

    Just know that above all of this, you have your faith. That will get you through because you have peace. This is important and will set you up for the working world but it too will pass.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

When you submit your comment, I will review it to make sure it is appropriate before it is officially posted for the public to see.